Residence hall staff

desk clerk and student

Residence Hall Staff

Resident Assistants (RA's)

Each wing or floor has its own Resident Assistant. These upper-class or graduate students plan programs for the wing and the building, serve as a resource for residents, and help to create and maintain an environment conducive to academic, personal, and social growth. RA duties include various administrative functions, desk and on call shifts, and a variety of other obligations. RAs are also responsible for the enforcement of Housing policies and the documentation of policy violations. Residents should contact their RAs first with any questions or problems; if the RA cannot personally help the resident, he or she will direct the resident to someone who can. RAs report to the Hall Director.

Desk Clerks

Except at College Inn, Honors Hall, Legends Hall, Mozart Square, and Santa Fe Square, the main desks of each building are staffed twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week when halls are open. Desk Clerks assist visitors; issue equipment, games, keys, and other materials available to residents for check out; report maintenance requests; and perform other administrative tasks that may arise. They are also an excellent resource for Housing and University information. Desk Clerks report to the Hall Director.

Community Directors

Community Directors and Assistant Community Directors are full-time, live in staff and are responsible for the operation of the residence halls. They supervise the other hall staff members, coordinate hall functions, advise the hall associations, monitor hall maintenance and cleanliness, provide assistance to residents, uphold community standards through the discipline process when necessary, and perform administrative functions as needed. Residents who have special problems or who have ideas for hall programs or other hall improvements should see their Community Director. Community Directors report to the Associate Director for Residence Life.


The custodians keep public areas of the building clean. Custodians report to the Custodial Supervisors.

Facility Assistants (FA's)

Each hall has its own Facility Assistant (FA) who performs minor maintenance tasks and other duties to make the halls’ environments relaxing and beautiful through beautification projects. These student employees also serve as couriers by helping Housing move furniture and other supplies into and around the halls. The FAs work cooperatively with the hall staff to see that the facility needs of the building are met. FAs report to the Associate Director for Housing.

Housing Ambassadors (HA's)

Each hall has its own Housing Ambassador (HA), and his/her room serves as the hall’s tour room. These upper-class students give hall tours, represent Housing at University functions, answer questions via telephone and email, and help students with Housing payments. HAs report to the Associate Director for Housing in the Assignments Office.

Housing Counselors

Housing employs four part-time counselors (doctoral students in UNT’s counseling program) to assist with individual resident issues. Each counselor is in an on-call rotation and available to respond to student crisis issues during evenings or weekends. A student can talk to a counselor by contacting their front desk staff. Students can also make a counseling appointment through Counseling & Testing at 940-565-2741. Housing Counselors report to the Associate Director for Residence Life.