On-Campus Housing Requirement
On-campus housing, dining, and student life facilities are a vital part of the process of educating students at the University of North Texas. The goal is to bring students together to promote intellectual exchange and allow staff to encourage the educational process and monitor the personal welfare of the students.
To promote the education and personal welfare of students attending UNT, the university requires those who meet the below criteria to reside in university operated residence halls, as long as space is available.
- All unmarried undergraduate students who have graduated from high school the semester prior to enrolling at the UNT,
- Who have completed fewer than thirty (30) semester hours of university work (hours completed while in high school through AP, dual credit, etc. are not considered in the thirty hours)
- Who are enrolled for nine or more semester hours
Incoming first year students can complete a application for Housing by doing the following:
- Create an eHousing account
- Select “Apply for Housing” from the menu
- Select the term that you’ll be coming to UNT
- Review and agree to the Housing Contract
- Walkthrough the steps of the application to select a residence hall (from currently available space), a dining meal plan, specify a roommate request (if you have one)
- Make the pre-payment and deposit payment to complete your application and secure the preferences that you specified
There are a few exceptions to the first year policy and they are outlined in UNT Policy 07.008. If you believe you qualify to be exempt from the first year live on requirement and you wish to commute, review the information about properly completing the commuter exemption process.